[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Paint protection> responses to C. Sawwa & J. Stadulis

> 1. What is 8 mils?
8 mil is 8/1000's of an inch. StonGard evidently tried 9 mil and
thicker but the material was too difficult to flow over complex
curves. They've found that 8 mils provides pretty good protection.
However, they also sell 80 mil thick pads for headlights. Similarly,
Griot's Garage sells sheets of 20 mil for fog lamps and 40 mil for
headlights. While StonGard's products are all cut precisely by
a computer-controlled device, Griot's only sells rectangular 3M
sheets. When i picked up my 96 M3, i hand-cut the 20 mil Griot's
film at the dealer's lot & covered the fog-lights before driving
2700 miles home (as mentioned on this list, these fog-lights are
very expensive).

> 2. Durability after application?
Dunno yet. Could be as long as 4yrs as mentioned by StonGard.
I did see a 1 yr old film on a car and it looked fine.

If a part needs to be replaced, it can be purchased separately so one
doesn't have to lay out an entire $250 per kit.

>3. Who can apply it?
This is a problem. StonGard only incorporated in Nov 95 and are
only now establishing franchises.
They're trying to get window tinters and detail shops to carry it.
They're also thinking of getting a training videotape for installers-
they should provide this to DIY'ers too. After watching the installation,
i think its easy enough; i intend to apply my spoiler film when it comes.

Install'n does require patience and a couple of minor tools that can be
obtained from hardware stores. I think StonGard will provide written
instructions if prodded- they're concerned that end-users will mess up
and then feel mighty frustrated at having to buy more film (StonGard
didn't appear to be an avaricious firm). Hence, StonGard wants their
product to be installed by 'professionals'. But i'll still do my own
spoiler piece, i'll post an update if requested.

> 4. Will repeated washing/waxing of exposed surfaces change in relation
to areas covered?
This was answered in my original post. The covered
areas will not fade as much as uncovered paint. Hence, scrupulous
waxing of uncovered regions of the fender and hood are required. As
digest members, we're all anal about Zymol'ing every week right? :-)
Seriously, time will tell even tho StonGard says that fading can be
avoided with proper care. The amount of fading will probably depend upon
UV exposure; fortunately, i garage my car at home at work.

>5. Where did Tim get the (3M urethane) film to begin with? From 3M. The film
was originally developed to protect outdoor graphics; signs and such. UV
protection was added at StonGard's request.

>5b. Can we, the populus, get said film? If you have access to a local
3M distributor, probably. But its expensive at retail prices. I think
Tim said that StonGard buys 5000 ft rolls. With that kind of volume, they
get a good price from 3M. Personally, i think it would be difficult for
the DIY'er to economically buy the film and cut it for body panels/mirrors.
StonGard has perhaps 100's-1000's of patterns and a computer-controlled cutting
machine to minimize wasted urethane film. Nonetheless, i'll be looking for
a local 3M distributer ASAP to find out retail prices.

And in response to Jerry Stadulis,

> Do you guys also have vinyl seatcovers on your living room furniture? ;-)
Gee, if i had a > $40k sofa that (i) was subjected to high velocity
projectiles, and (ii) had a surface that cost $3-6k to refinish/repaint,
i'd certainly think about it!! I certainly wouldn't want to be repeatedly
putting on sofa covers/bra every time i expected guests to start throwing
rocks at the sofa! i'd either get new friends or ScotchGuard/StonGard it!

dan
96 M3 Lux, BostonGreen/ModenaNatur, Dinan airbox/exhaust, snorkel
87 Dinan 2.8L Stroker Black/tan, 58k miles, 18k on Stroker, for sale:
   http://dsrna.agi.org/dinan325i.html