[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Surging/hesitation problem on 83 633

The 83 633 that I bought a month ago starts to surge after approx. 3800 r.p.m., whether under acceleration or holding a fixed r.p.m. This occurs when the car is in any gear (auto now but going to convert) or while idling.  Fuel filter and gas line have been changed.  No vacuum leaks detected. Does this whether or not the O2 sensor is connected.  Car runs well under 3800 r.p.m. with no surging or hesitation.

There is also some type of intermittent shorting going on with the instruments (temp gauge goes on & off), which seems to get worse when over 3800 r.p.m., and a relay clicking sound in the area of the underside of the driver's dash.  The alarm horn would also randomly and intermittently go off in short durations even though code wasn't set.  All grounds look O.K. and I can't duplicate the problem when jiggling the wires.  I think at some time in the past, someone had some type of alarm system which may have either tied into the ignition or fuel system, but I haven't found the tie in points.

Seems like this is probably an electronic problem affecting the fuel system.  Any thoughts on a procedure to narrow down the location?  Where is the connector for the OBC located on this car?  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Gene M.