[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW Mechanic from Hell

These are excerpts from a letter I sent to the service department director of
my former BMW dealer.

I scheduled my BMW for warranty repair - cruise control would not disengage
when you depress the brake pedal, passenger sun visor light stays on.  I
noticed the mechanics admiring the custom stereo installation in my car,
prior to starting the repairs so I went into the bay.  I spoke with Jim (the
mechanic) and explained the problems with my car.  He said it would probably
be close to a half an hour or an hour.  As I was returning from a short walk,
I noticed Jim driving out of the dealership, rather aggressively, in my car.
 I said to myself, "I hope he doesn't drive that way when he comes back and
goes over that speed bump."  I waited outside and saw Jim as he was
approaching the dealership.  I started walking toward the speed bump as he
drove  over it.  I heard a loud thud and knew right away what happened. I
immediately went into the service office and told the BMW service rep what I
saw and that I wanted my car placed on the lift and inspected for damage.  He
agreed.  As I went back outside, Jim had parked my car and was walking toward
me.  I told him what I saw and what I told the service rep I wanted done.
 Jim went back to the car and I followed him as he drove it into the shop and
onto the lift.

The chief BMW mechanic was upset and asking what happened, after hearing it
from the service rep.  He tried to explain that he normally tests drives the
cars and drives them aggressively to determine serviceability of repairs.  I
agreed, "...but not in the parking lot over speed bumps!"  The undercoating
was scraped off both sides of the rocker panels.  We both inspected the car
further and found no other damage.  Jim was told to repair it.

This is the kicker!  Jim says "I don't see what the problem is!  The next
time he brings his car in, I won't work on it!"   It tok all I had to keep
from calling him everything but a child of GOD.  The chief BMW mechanic
(German fella) was very apologetic and bending over backwards to rectify the
problem.  Jim was continually covering himself with dirt.

Questions, comments, atta-boys.
Email me for the name and city of the dealer.

Fastlaane