[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36><M3> Clutch Problems

Friends,

I'm having problems with what I believe to be the clutch throw-out bearing
(and/or related assembly), and clutch pedal linkage assembly inside the
car.  This pampered '95 M3 currently has about 8,800 miles on it.

I would greatly appreciate knowing if any of you E36 M3 owners have had
these problems -- or have any suggestions -- before I contact BMW NA
Customer Assistance.  I believe that telling BMW NA that 2,600 Internet
mailing list members were surveyed about these problems will carry some
significance.

The first problem is clutch pedal vibration at engine speeds over about
2,000 rpm.  This occurs while the pedal is being depressed and released,
and when the pedal is held in the depressed position (clutch disengaged).
This problem did not exist prior to warranty work performed on the car by
BMW dealer #1 and BMW dealer #2.  (Let's keep this anonymous for now, I
don't know if there's a correlation between the warranty "service" and the
problems.)  The warranty work involved eliminating an oil leak at the rear
of the engine.  Dlr #1 did not fix the leak (they "fixed" something that
wasn't a problem, c'est la vie...), dlr #2 thankfully fixed it.

The second problem is a dull but apparent "pop" as the clutch linkage
parts in the cabin come together when the clutch is depressed.  Dlr #2
lubricated the linkage, however this didn't really fix the problem.

I brought the car in twice to dlr #2 to have the vibration problem
corrected.  The first time I was told that the regional service
representative would have to decide what action to take.  So, after
rearranging my schedule and activities again (don't you love it when you
have to take the car back so somebody ELSE can look at it?), I brought the
car back to dlr #2 so the regional rep could check it out.  The regional
rep stated that ALL M3s do this and it is normal!

I don't believe a car this expensive, touting engineering sophistication,
should have these problems.  These problems prevent my wife and I from
fully enjoying the car because we feel the vibrations and "pop" every time
we drive it.

I'd really appreciate help on this one.  Is this "normal" like BMW states
- -- or am I just the lucky one???  TIA...

Mike Wylie