[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

198? Getrag Sloppy gearshift tips E28,E24,E34 etc..

I would like to pass on my experience of trying to reduce gearshift lever=
 play.

After seeing posts on the subject, I attempted this job too.

I purchased the lower shift lever, nylon bush for the ball pivot and the =
t-piece which fits onto the sector rod exiting the gearbox. =A340 UK.

To cut a long story short, as I was replacing the parts, I found that the=
 internal measurements were the same on the old and new parts, indicating=
 no wear.

It turned out that the only parts I really needed were two fibre washers =
and 2 rubber o-rings which cost =A31.26, which act as spacers at both end=
s of the extension rod and a lubricating pad which fits in the T-peice, a=
cting as an anti-rattle shim.

These small but essential parts seemed to cause all of the play as they h=
ad worn away and although the 3 larger parts were no doubt a help, they w=
ere quite expensive compared to the others.

I would advise anyone to try these cheap bits before attempting a wholesa=
le replacement.

Richard Cartledge 1986 525iSE 127,000miles  ***BMW for the fortuanate few=
!***