[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E39> FM reception <E36> 328i Drive

<Christophe.Lemaire@domain.elided> (Christophe Lemaire) writes:

>To all new E39 528i owners:
>
>Are you happy with your FM radio reception?
>
>I have noticed a distinct degradation in reception of some local FM
>stations on the E39 radio tuner, compared to my previous car's radio (Acura
>integra).  I can hear quite a bit of static (not permanently, but in some
>areas where the reception is obviously poorer) on stations where I always
>used to have perfect reception before.  Could it be that the rear
>window-integrated antenna on the E39 does not provide as good a reception
>as a standard telescopic antenna?  If that's the case, it's a shame and
>disconcerting, for a expensive luxury sedan!
>If it is not supposed to be that way, what is the problem and how can it be
>fixed?  (Since the FM reception is only slightly poorer than on my Acura, I
>doubt my dealer would consider it a problem and would probably just discard
>my claim.  What do you think?)

Compared to my 92 325i and my now gone 95 530i, the FM and AM reception on
the E39 is much improved. I had a loaner 96 328i with the HK system and
that was almost, but not quite as good as the E39 528i.

The improvement is substantial and if it isn't better than an Acura, you
better get to the dealer and complain. This radio uses a 4-way diversity
antenna tuning scheme, where it checks the reception from 4 different
antenna sources and chooses the best one, many times per second. The
reception is so good, that it probably needs better rejection of weaker
signals, since it tends to pick up two weak stations on the same frequency
at the same time. I can't imagine that a single telescopic antenna would
give reception anywhere near as good as the 4-way diversity tuning scheme -
but if you installed 4 telescopic antennas, one at each corner of the car,
then it would probably be better.

>BTW, I'm also disappointed to find out that the water can accumulate below
>the fuel cap behind the fuel door.  A little drain hole would have fixed
>the problem there.

Tell me about it. I always dry the door jambs, trunk lid channel and hood
edges when washing the car. I need another towel for the fuel filler
reservoir (of water). Obviously a design defect that BMW will not want to
correct. Demand a written response from BMW. I plan to.

Previous problem with engine check light was a bad air pump which the new
computer monitoring system picked up. Pump replaced, problem gone. (I
hope).

I got to drive this 96 328i 4 door, leather, HK system, and automatic. I'm
not very good with automatics. Three times I tried to push in the clutch.
Sure suprised the people behind me, and my wife (What the hell are you
doing!!!).  Car was pretty quick when driven in manual mode (without
clutching). 31 mpg on 70 mile trip to dealer at 75 mph. Seats not very
comfortable (not sport seats). Stereo as good or better than stock 528i
system. Garbage tires.

We have our summer-fall trip about planned. We enter Montana from the East;
drive to the West. Head to the North, and then South. Then head East, and
then West,...  You get the idea. My daughter gets to drive the E36 while we
are away, a pleasant change from her 85 E30 318i. While in Australia she
also gets to drive the E39.

Ephraim Fithian     fithian@domain.elided
http://www.kutztown.edu/~fithian/
92 E36 325i 5-speed 80k,  97 E39 528i 5-speed  2k.
Previous 78 530i 5-speed 192k, 84 318i 5-speed 18k,
85 535i 5-speed 117k, 95 530i 5-speed 24k.
BMWCCA 14040, NMA member, Macintosh user.
Wishing to contact any list members living along the route of our upcoming
motor tour of WI, MN, ND, SD, WY, MT, Alberta, BC, WA, OR, UT, CO,
KS, Aug 18 to Oct 3, and motor tour of Australia, Oct 15 to Dec 10.