[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ram Air

Rich writes...

> Date:          Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:13:51 -0700
> To:            buckland@domain.elided
> From:          Robert Van Den Berg <rvanden@domain.elided>
> Subject:       Way to go Carl

> Good going on your win!  Hope you have more of them.  I do have a
> question for you.  Do you think that the "Ram air" intake has helped
> any on your car and should I consider installing it on my car?
>
> Thanks for the info and continued good luck (and concentration)
> Robert
>

> Robert Van Den Berg <rvanden@domain.elided>
> Senior Information Technology Analyst
> Phone: 916-732-6954
> Fax:     916-732-6125

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Roberto,

Thanks for writing.  The road has been a long one;  it is nice to
finally feel like the car is seriously competitive, at a National
level.

Ram air....I put on the Motorsport "ram air," (also called the Korman
ram air), mostly to get more cold, outside air.  I don't think that
the diameter of the duct is NEARLY big enough to make much
difference, as far as "ram" is concerned.

With the help of the boys at Westwood Industries (here in Salt Lake,
importers of the Akimoto air filter systems), I have done the
following:   1)remove drivers side fog light  2) relocate horn  3)
put 6" diameter rubber ducting (with the coil wire in it for shaping)
into the fog light hole, and run up to approx where the new Akimoto
filter fits 4)install Akimoto.

First, we built a plexiglass bowl around the filter, and then tied
the duct with a clamp around the end of the filter.  I think that the
"ram air" criteria was met, but it was too small an inlet for the
air.  I will build a much larger bell around the filter, then clamp
the duct to the bell.  THAT will give both ram air AND plentiful
filter surface.  The duct and the filter are about two inches away
from each other.   Is that clear?  Hope so, I am out of time!

Best regards,

Carl
Carl Buckland
1000 Boston Bldg