[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Running at half power

I had a similar experience recently on my 735il.  Loss of power, the EML and
ASC lights on, 15 faults on the Dignostic Information System (DIS).  It took
the dealer 10 days to diagnose the problem, including trying replacement of
 the EML module which had to be ordered from Germany.  Turns out the
7-series has a 'fly by wire' throttle.  The EML module controls a stepper
motor in the throttle body that positions the butterfly valve  to control
the air flow based on all the engine/air/fuel/exhaust/temperature/load
sensors.  When it fails, the car goes into failure mode and if it will run,
it's just barely. (I ended up driving back from Lake Tahoe at 35 mph in the
middle of the night praying the electrical system wouldn't go black on me in
the middle of the canyon).  The motor is called the 'DK Motor' and you have
two in a 12-cyl, one for each side.  They're about $750 each (Get a BMWCCA
card and at least you'll save something off the list at the dealer).    What
was interesting to me is that the DIS couldn't pinpoint the problem right
away -- it took about six hours and several of the dealers technicians to
get it diagnosed.  Thankfully, they only charged me for two hours.  You
might have the mechanic check the DK motors and see if that's what's causing
your problem.  Good luck.