[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> re: Air Distribution Control

As the new part number cam unit was delivered very rapidly by BMW UK, I can
give my own answer to the first of the questions I asked in v05.n101 (quoted
below). The new part does indeed have a modified cam design, which allows
overlap of the air outlet flap valves. It has dramatically improved my car's
air conditioning, as confirmed by extended road test of the cool feet, cool
head principle.

The cam of the original part consisted of a channel moulded into one face of
a plastic disc and the 'follower' pegs of the upper and lower flap levers
both sat in this one channel. In the new part, channels are moulded into
both faces of the disc, so each lever has its own cam. Obviously this gives
a lot more design flexibility.

Fitting was simple - though a bit fiddly in a right hand drive car, as you
have to work around the steering column. Price in the UK was 14.17 GBP(no
discount). I doubt a bigger improvement could be made to the car for less
than twenty times as much. Thanks for the impetus, Dave!

Bob Avgherinos (ravgherinos@domain.elided)