[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OBD II implications

>From: Kim Watters Halapin <zgbjtjh@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 13:05:36 EDT
>Subject: Subject: OBD II implications
>
>How would BMW service install their own EPROM upgrades or
>replacements? Would they unsolder the original chip and solder in the
>new chip? Why couldn't after market chips be installed the same way
>BMW service will handle it? Just curious.
>
>Kim Watters
>E34/'95 530i/5-speed

As I have understood it they are now using flash rams or roms. These
can be possibly reprogrammed  through the diagnostics connector by
invoking a certain subroutine in the code. This may be inaccurate
since I do have experience only of reprogramming my modem. This
was done with giving the modem a special at-code and invoking the
loader program in my pc. The software transferred through the serial
cable. Flash memory is also common in cellular phones. Flash memory
makes software changes much easier than before. For the performance
chip developer it is of course a new challenge to figure out how to
use the flash memory. The manufacturers have known about aftermarket
chips for a long time and are not making things easier. I wonder if
they even try to hide the code or to make it more difficult to figure out.

Jari