[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Autocross and 7ers

>> From: "Paul F. Kunz" <Paul_Kunz@domain.elided> Date: Mon, 12
>> Aug 1996 20:38:36 -0700 Subject: Re: Euro M3 Part #'s, Yok
>> A032. GYear GSC-CS

>> Still waiting to be beaten by a E36 M3 at an autocross.

> Paul, I have a sure fire method to beat your time with the 735 in an
> autocross.  You drive my E36 M3 after your 735.  Then you can beat
> your 735 time, something I know current M3 pilots can not do : )

   Actually, we tried something like this during the fun runs at the
last Golden Gate Chapter (GGC) autocross.  The ladies class is time
corrected according to the performance points of the car.  Only two
ladies were running that day...

- - my wife, Lynn, in 735i, Dinan Stage III,  which is in class A
- - Laurie in a E30 M3, Dinan prepared, which is in class GONZO (three
classes above class A).   This car got FTD when driven by owner (as
usual).

The ladies swapped cars during the fun runs after the competive runs.
Laurie slowed down by 2+ seconds complaining that she had never driven
such a large car.   Lynn got faster by 2+ seconds saying that she felt
she had driven the car slowly.   So it appears that the GGC points
system more or less works as the system says the cars are about 2-3
seconds apart on a typical 60 second run.

   So by all means, an E36 M3, especially a Dinan prepared one, should
be able to beat a Dinan 735i.  As you say, GGC doesn't currently have
any E36 M3 pilots that can prove it.  However, GGC does have two E30
M3 pilots who prove it every time.  I'm lucky to get with 2 seconds of
these guys.

   I posting of this is to encourage GGC E36 M3 pilots to come on out
to our autocross and develop your skills.   When you have beaten my
735i, then you know you've arrived.   Also, to 7-series owners on this
list, you should never let yourself be put down for driving such a
large car.   The 7er is a very capable car; it is a BMW after all.