[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

328i Whistling and Other Assorted Auditory Emanations

Regarding Whistling:

I've had it happen 3 times (twice while I showing off to friends -
raised eyebrows and questions about german reliability).  It
seems to happen at about 75+ mph.  I've tried opening closing
all the windows, moving the sunroof around, turning the AC/blower
off.  I suspect it is wind related, as it goes away when I slow
down under a certain speed, and picks up again as I accelerate.
Any ideas?  Will the dealer be able to do anything about it?

Other noises:

A rattle/hum coming from the vents whenever I deaccelerate.
A squeak on rough roads coming from steering column.
Assorted rattles, more than I expected from a "luxury" sedan.

Other questions:

OBC/Speedo Discrepancy
My OBC and speedometer mismatch by about 5 mph.  That is, the speedo
usually indicates my speed about 5mph more than the OBC does.  The
odometer matches the OBC, so I'm not logging more miles than I'm driving.
The OBC also matches my visual observations.  Should I get the dealer
to fix this?

Radio - RDBS?
During the recent Great Bay Area Blackout, I noticed (as I sat in
my car in pitch darkness, listening to the radio) that the radio
LCD had characters for RBDS (radio broadcast data system), PTY (?)
and some other stuff.  Are these just leftovers from manufacturing,
or can RBDS be somehow enabled?

New Head Unit?
Speaking of the radio, I've been thinking of replacing the head unit.
Any suggestions?  Any car stereo review archives on the net?
Also, one of the features I'd like to preserve is the automatic volume
adjustment relative to engine speed.  Are any of the head units out
there compatible with BMW's engine speed indicator signal?

ASC+T?
Is there any way to retrofit traction control if I didn't get it stock?
Just curious - it would seem all the sensors are there, and presumably
the capability to individually brake tires is there too.

Thanks,
Carlos
1996 328i SE, HK, Alpine White (water spots? what water spots?)