[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resale Value of 328is (5-spd vs Automatic)

My opinion,

The 328 automatic will depreciate faster, IMHO.  The 5-speed cars are sold
in lesser numbers when new, and when performance people like many on this
digest want a car, the want a 5-spd.  Many of us cannot afford a new BMW so
we look for a few year old car w/5-spd.  Dealers mark these cars up,
atleast at the dealers in my area (Bay Area.)  When I was shopping for my
car 2 years ago I considered a 5-spd 325is, but they were all way to
expensive unless I would take a 4-door or an automatic.  I am happy to say
I got an M3 instead.

IMHO, those people who want automatics are the "image" oriented people.
The "performance" folk usually go for the stick.  "Image" cars loose their
image after several years.  Look at the value of used 2002s, do you think
the automatic or stick costs more?  I don't know for sure, but I'd put
money on the stick.  If you want an automatic, more power to you, but they
aren't for me!

Bill Bechtold
bbechtol@domain.elided
'89 BMW ///M3