[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Resonators in Exhaust systems.

Ruell Medina writes...
>I'm asking to someone that can anwser my question about resonators in
>aftermarket exhaust systems. I have a Remus exhaust on my 318ti, and it
>has a resonator after the cat. This piece is so quiet, when I'm at the
>track, people think all I have is an exhaust tip. I am thinking about
>removing it to make it louder, if it has no disadvantages besides noise.
>Has anyone ever removed a resonator on their car?
>
>Do resonators add any performance benefit Torque/HP?
>
>Would I gain performance without the Resonator by any chance?
>
>Does the resonator have backpressure?

Ruell,

I wouldn't do this.  The purpose of a resonator in the exhaust system of
a 4-cylinder is to remove a really loud BRAAAAPP sound, or as some may
refer to it, remove the 'snapiness' from the exhaust note.  I skipped the
resonator on a new exhaust system on my last car -- for about two days --
I couldn't stand the noise.  I like it loud, but this was annoying.  I
don't think the resonator has a big effect on performance, since they're
generally a hollow vented tube surrounded by an outer glass-packed casing
(probably next to no back pressure).  I didn't notice any degradation in
performance after reinstalling the resonator on my last car.

Shawn
'95 318ti (Jet Black/Anthracite, Sport Pkg.)