[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<e28> fresh air/a/c

> Help! 1986 528e, when I turn A/C on fresh air flaps do not close
> entirely.Prevents Air Conditioned air from coming out of dash or any
> other
> place. When I slide the center fresh air lever to the extreme right hand
> position I hear what I think are the flaps closing but not all the way
> as no
> air conditioned air exits the vents. Any suggestions?? Please tell me
> that I
> don't have to remove the heater!!!
> mbendeth@domain.elided

The fresh air vents on '86 E28's are motor driven. The motor on my car died
and I replaced it. It is located on the passenger side of the heating/cooling
unit. Drop the glove compartment. Remove the black plastic thing over over
the glove compartment. Looking up in there you will see a small motor with a
linkage.

Check it out. (loose wire, binding linkage, etc). To replace the motor just
remove the four phillips screws that hold it in place. I bought a used one.
It is a pain and I had to remove one short rubber duct to get to it, but it
is not hard (just a pain).

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO