[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

328 auto vs manual

I hate to feed fuel into this, but regarding resale value, look at the
percentage of the types of cars sold new to determine their resale value
years down the road.  This is a good rule of thumb.  If BMW is selling
(suppose) 40% of 328s as auto trannys, then there will be sufficient demand
for these cars in the used market given their popularity when sold as new.
If on the other hand, only 10% of 328s go out with auto trannys, then I would
be worried.  Does anyone have the figures on the percentage of sales of
each type?  To say that if somehow if 40% of 328s sold new had auto trannys,
but then somehow magically all used car buyers of 328s want only sticks
and no autos is crazy (unless there is some maintenance history with the
auto that might change this demographic pattern).  Its the same thing with
colors.  Car colors popular when new, are again popular when sold used.
Before getting my current M3 (a 95 automatic by the way), I had a red
Mitsu 3000GT.  I waited 8 months to get a red one, because everyone wanted
red.  When I sold it used, I got about $1000 more than the going rate for
it just because it was red.  Sales demographics when new = sales demograhpics
when used, as a general rule.....

Chris