[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E39> Check Engine

About 3 weeks ago the Check Engine light came on in my E39 528i 5-speed.
The dealer checked it out by putting it on the computer readout device.
Reasons were secondary air system, purge system, and carbon canister. They
removed hoses to purge valve and checked for kinks; none found; reset fault
indicator.

Everything was fine until after I refilled the gas tank about 3 days later.
The Engine Check light came on again.. This time the computer fault readout
was misfire in #5 cylinder, secondary air system for all cylinders. They
replaced #5 spark plug, which was fouled, checked the air pump system, and
reset the fault indicator. I asked them to check the gas cap, but they
probably figured there was no reason to do so, and didn't bother.

Once again, everything was fine until I refilled the gas tank 3 days later.
The Engine Check light came on for the third time. Using my usually
unintuitive reasoning, I check the gas cap and found it was not completely
tight. Someone with a 328i had a similar problem that was linked to the gas
cap not sealing correctly.

Is it possible for this to be caused by a not completely tight gas cap?

Ephraim Fithian     fithian@domain.elided
http://www.kutztown.edu/~fithian/
92 E36 325i 5-speed 80k,  97 E39 528i 5-speed 2k.
Previous 78 530i 5-speed 192k, 84 318i 5-speed 18k,
85 535i 5-speed 117k, 95 530i 5-speed 24k.
BMWCCA 14040, NMA member, Macintosh user.
Wishing to contact any list members living along the route of our upcoming
motor tour of WI, MN, ND, SD, WY, MT, Alberta, BC, WA, OR, UT, CO,
KS, mid-Aug to end-Sept, and motor tour of Australia, end-Oct to mid-Dec.