[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <MISC> First "OIL SERVICE"

Hi David,

I have a '95 318ti with the same problem:

>I also plan to ask them to check the A/C about the recurring "howling"
>noise that comes on when the car's running at slow speeds with the A/C
>turned on, especially in the rain.  Is this the compressor?  Purge valve?
>I don't know if the service advisor will be able to duplicate the problem
>when the car's in there.  Any suggestions on what else I should get them
>to check?

there is a BMW bulletin about this problem, they call it a 'GROARING' noise.
It will be noticeable when you have the a/c set at 2 or 1 (mine never
'groared' at 3 or 4) and it will only do so when you are driving at 2000 to
2500 rpm.  I am waiting for the parts to come in and the bimmer should be in
the shop next week to get this, and two other little defects, fixed.  The
repair should take only a few hours and it is on warranty.

I wonder what the German word for 'groaring' is -- but this accurately
describes the sigh-turning-to-asthma-attack sound of the a/c :-))

The other defects are (1) the right ceiling panel drooping (again!!!) over
the back seat (every time I have a passenger back there the ceiling droops
- -- no silly jokes about fat friends -- there is an internal clip that keeps
popping off, they will replace it) and (2) the moulding on my driver's side
window is peeling off (the wide, 3" band that separates the driver's window
from the second window further back).  At first I thought that someone had
tried to break into my car and had messed up the moulding alongside the
window, but on closer inspection nothing was ripped, the black plastic/vinyl
band was merely peeling away from the metal support bar.  [sigh] yet another
part that needs ordering and installing.

Thank goodness it's all free, but with troubles like this under warranty,
what lies ahead in three years?!?

Still loving the zippiness of my Alaska Blau Active,

Vida.
vida@domain.elided

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.
                       - Rabbi Hyman Schachtel