[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> oil pan and timing chain gasket replacement

> >         Is it possible to replace the oil pan gasket without hoisting the
> > engine off the mounts? without dropping the subframe?
>
> You may be able to get away without using hoisting the engine off the
> engine mounts but I'm not sure it if it's worth the trouble or if it
> you will be successful.  I removed my oil pan recently and received
> some interesting solutions to this problem.  The engine needs to be
> raised to allow the oil pan to get pass the oil pump.  If you don't
> raise the engine you will need to remove all the bolts on the oil
> pan, then reach in blindly and remove the bolts for the oil pump.

I agree.  You might as well lift the engine off its mounts.  You're
likely to go through a few gaskets if you don't, since you'll have
to get it around the oil pump, regardless.

With a floor jack, support it (well, if you care about your fingers)
by the tranny, unless you have an auxiliary component (a/c, eg) up
front.  You may want to do the actual lifting off the pan, though.  The
hardest part is getting the engine back on the mounts, especially on
the passenger side.  You'll likely need 4 hands (get extra help refitting
the gasket).

Oh, make sure to remove the radiator, too, since you'll want the front
clearance.

> >         "while I'm in there" is there anything else I should take the time
> > to replace? oil pump? I'll replace the timing cover oil seal if I end up in
> > there.

You might as well do the pump, if you have the money.  Raising the
motor is a sufficiently time consuming job that it may be worth it to
do it now (depending on how many miles you have on it).  If you're going
to have the timing cover off, why not do both the oil pump chain and
the timing chain?  A new timing chain will reduce engine noise significantly.

/*
**   Fred Dushin
**   School of Computer and Information Science
**   2-120 CST
**   Syracuse University
**   Syracuse, NY 13244
**