[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: auto vs. manual

> I am curious as to any statistical/personal knowledge relating to the
 >    reliability of a manual transmission vs. the automatic.

 >    I will be ordering a '97  328is  within the next 6 months, and I am
 >   torn between getting the 5spd. or the Auto.

   >  I believe that all '96 and newer 328's will use the ZF 5 spd. that was
   >  previously used in the M3, but I do not know if the auto. tranny is the
   > same used in the older 325's.

auto shoud do 100k-150k if nothing goes wrong .
(new autos are supposedly service free.....)

manual will do 300k  easy.
clutch  with good technique will do 150K easy.
(though that was for asbestos clutch material.....new ones are asbestos free
and I dont know if they can last as long.)

1994 and up 318,325,328,528 use GM THM R1 auto.
M3 and the V8 BMWs use the 5 speed ZF self programming auto.

Durability and performance lives with the manual transmission cars.
Relaxation and listening to Mozart lives with the automatics..........with less
reliability ultimately.
Now make your choice.............and good luck!

sincerely,
henri baccouche
los angeles