[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> 328is Auto vs. Manual

Stephen West writes,

<<... Does anyone have any comments, opinions regarding the reliability of the
     auto and manual tranny?  Is the 5 spd in the 328 significantly better than
     the older 5 spd. >>

Stephen,

IMHO      IMHO        IMHO       IMHO         IMHO        IMHO      IMHO
IMHO       IMHO         IMHO

Reliability I think is about the same, i.e. they will both work for you just as
long.  The major difference though is in acceleration and responsiveness of the
car.  IMHO, the automatic tranny sucks big time.  There is a dreadful delay
between the time you punch down the gas pedal and when the car actually starts
moving, I hate that.  I test drove both auto and manual before I decided on a 5
speed 328is.  I must admit, I hate the auto transmission that BMW puts in their
cars.  Not just because it is made by GM, but because it makes the car feel like
a 4 cylinder Chevy Cavalier with clogged carburetor.  If you want to try a
*real* automatic tranny go and test drive MB C280 or a Lexus ES 300, then get
into a bimmer with auto transmission and get depressed.  Of course there are a
lot of people who swear by automatic bimmers and I only wish more power to them
(: so all of you Auto people, please spear my hide when you read this :).
Again, IMHO, bimmers should not even be sold with the current type of automatic
transmissions as they are a disgrace to otherwise perfect automobile.  Now, said
that I admit I haven't drove an automatic 5'er or a 7'er, except for the new E39
528i.

So, to sum all this up - if you are a 5 Speed guy, get the manual - you won't
regret it, if you are an Auto guy with a lot of tolerance for bad engine
response - get the Auto and you'll probably get used to it.

IMHO      IMHO        IMHO       IMHO         IMHO        IMHO      IMHO
IMHO       IMHO         IMHO

Chris,

96' E-36 328is Montreal Blue / Gray Leather
Sports Package, 5 Speed, AST, Heated Seats
Alpine / HK sound