[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E28> Rear Alignment!

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:
> Hi there;
> A question for the digest wisdom.  I have a stange problem with the
> drivers rear tire wearing on the OUTSIDE.  Had an alignment printout,
> and it showed negative camber on the rear.  How is it possible that
> the outside of the tire is wearing?  I bought the tires/wheels used, so
> is it possible that it is a function of the tire?  By the way, I had a rear
> bearing changed on that side, and slight machining had to be done to
> the axal. (killed a new bearing  in about a week!)

Although the rear sus. has negative camber the driver side may have
excessive toe-in which would cause the wear that you describe.  If a
bearing needed changed (because in my experience BMW rear wheel bearings
last almost forever except if they are wacked hard like hitting a curb)
and machining needed done on the axle (which is really unusual), it would
seem to me that that side got hit pretty hard somehow and probably the
control arm or subframe is now bent causing the alignment problem.

Walt Barie (barie@domain.elided, http://www.nb.net/~barie)
'82 320i DSP Solo II Car
'80 528i
'80 Volvo DL