[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E38 318 (M42) engine question

>From: "Gleek" <gleek@domain.elided>
>Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 21:56:53 -0700
>Subject: E38 318 (M42) engine question
>
>Does anyone's 318 (93-) eat oil?
>
>I have a 95 318ti with 14k and it goes through about a quart every 3-5k
>miless.  The dealer said that this is normal in new BMW's until about 10k
>miles.  Is this true?  (although mine continues to go through the oil.)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Rich

I have a 95 318ti with 10k and it hasn't needed any additional oil between oil
changes. Could the dealer be trying to take you out for a spin? Where is the
oil going? Are you seeing smoke? Have you check the antifreeze fluid to see if
there are traces of oil? I guess that you have not seen any oil in the
driveway?

Pedro

- --
Pedro I. Espina
U.S. Department of Commerce
National Institute of Standards and Technology         Tel (301)975-6178
Chemical Science and Technology Laboratory             FAX (301)258-9201
Process  Measurements Division              mailto:pedro.espina@domain.elided
Fluid Flow Group                           http://fluid.nist.gov/~espina