[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E30 M3 Cam Sprockets-Instal

E30 M3 Cam Sprockets-Install
To bmw-digest@domain.elided

>I've just installed the head on my E30 M3 and I'm having
>trouble installing the cam sprockets!  I can't seem to
>massage the two gears under the chain without running out of
>room to manipulate them... Does anyone have experience
>installing these?  Perhaps its just a bitch, but it would be
>nice to know my suffering is shared (sigh....).  Thanks for
>any advice!

You're right it is a bitch.  Make sure the chain is not buckled up down
by the crank gear therefore shortening it.  You do have the tensioner
out, right?  I found it easier to have the chain looped over both gears
and then install intake first with just a couple of bolts.  Then slide
the exhaust cam gear onto the cam.  If it just won't go, the chain is
probably not pulled up tight and possible caught down below somewhere.

Good luck and let us know,
Stu Raike, St. Louis
'92 325i
'88 M3