[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> bimmer -> bummer

I just found out today that the 73 2002tii I was so proud of finding
recently has terminal corrosion of the head.  The machine shop called
today and announced that it isn't worth any more effort.  It seems
that they weld up a section that was badly corroded and stick it in
the bath to clean it up, only to find another section which needs
work.  Apparently the rust was holding it together :(

I have no idea what happened to it.  The guy said that certain parts
of the head were missing 1/2" of material.  Something must have leaked
in there and screwed things up.

What can I do?  I wanted to keep everything original on the car, but
this doesn't look possible.  The engine block VIN matches the body,
and the head had a 72 with 10 indentations (outdentations?), meaning
it was made in October of 1972 I think.

If I find a 72 2002 head, can I use that?  I know the mechanical fuel
pump hole has to be filled, but I am not sure of any other differences
between the heads.

Does anybody know where I can get a tii head?  Sounds like wishful
thinking, but doesn't hurt to ask...

Lastly, I was curious if anybody knows the history of this car...
It has a dark green exterior, tan interior, Behr A/C, VIN=2763207, and
it has a "Rocky Mountain Chapter, BMW CCA" sticker on the left rear
pop out window.

Thank for any advice on this, I'm pretty bummed.

Jason