[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M42 Engine Recall

Benton wrote:
   >He told me that there was no recall for that part (I asked as if I didn't
>know) and that the main cause for failure was not changing the coolant
>every two years.  Also a hot running engine will cause the gasket to
>become brittle (carbonized).

True...there is no recall...thats what I and a few others are about to lobby
NHTSA to "urge" BMW to do...make a recall.  I and many others, according to
emails Im getting,
feel it is a safety issue when all your coolant comes gushing out into your
engine compartment at speed due to a factory defect.  BMW apparently feels
differently.
They DO however, have a TSB or Technical Service Bulletin out making every
single BMW dealer aware of this flaw.  Difference?  Recalls mean factory
pays all..TSB means its up to the dealer and BMW to decide if they want to
help at all.  Usually they dont, meaning..grab your ankles to the tune of
over $800 in repair costs. I have heard from at least 4 owners who have
stated they changed their coolant AT LEAST every 24 months, two of these
individuals have used BMW coolant to do this.

Ron