[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E21 engine swap...

   Just like alot of 320i owners, I'm thinking about changing my 1.8l
motor to something more powerful.  I've been offered a 2.8 from a '79
528i with the transmission and all other requirement for 1200$can
(850$ us?).  Does someone ever heard or done such a conversion?  Any
input would be greatly appreciated!  Should I go for a [E30]325 / [E30]M3
motor instead?

   When I bought the car (4 months ago), the overflow pipe of the radiator
was going into a water tank (2L).  When I went to my local euro scrap yard
(the tank was leaking from everywhere), the owner told me there was never
such a thing as a water tank in the 320i (other than the radiator itself).
He told me the overflow pipe only had to point downward.  I saw the same
arrangement with a water tank in another 320i I visited before buying mine.
Anyone know if there is a reason why someone would connect an external tank
trought the overflow pipe??  I took the tank out and haven't notice a difference
in the water temperature while driving...

   Thanks in advance!

320i '83

  Mathieu Brabant                 Christian Larocque's Cartoon
mbrabant@domain.elided         http://www.synapse.net/~ob/