[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <Vintage> '37 327/28

>From: cmjudd@domain.elided
>Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:45:55 -0700
>Subject: Re: bmw-digest V5 #84
>
>About thirty yeears ago, my Dad brought home a 1937(?) BMW 327 or possibly
>327/8
>cabriolet which has been dismantled and in dry storage ever since.  The car is
>in fairly decent shape overall, and is a decent candidate for restoration (and
>it's not for sale...).  The only problem is that I don't know of any parts
>sources for the car or of any restorers experienced with ancient BMW's.

Your best source for info. will probably be the BMW Vintage Club of
America, Thomas Graham, P.O. Box S, San Rafael, CA 94903  Day: 415
897-0220, eve: 479-4378, fax 898-0831.

>Also, how can I tell the difference between the 327 and the 327/8 (other than
>looking at the engine)?  I'm not sure  if the engine in our car is original or
>not and would like to determine what kind of engine was originally in the
>car >by matching up serial or chassis #'s.  Are there any other details
>which >separate the two cars?

Engine differences are 327: 2 sidedraught Solex carbs
                    327/28: 3 downdraught Solex carbs and aluminum head with
                                 V-valve arrangement in an aluminum head.
The 327/28 was produced only from April '38 on, so if it's really a '37
then the 328 engine would be suspect.

>The front fenders also appear to be a bit different from others I've seen
>- the
>headlights are at a different angle than most - they don't seem to stick
>out as
>far as others.

There werer several coachbuilders building 327 cabs, Baur, Autenreith and
perhaps others, that could account for variations.

>If anyone has any information regarding any of this, I would really appreciate
>it.  >Chris

Get yourself to Monterey next week-end and ask the BMW Mobil Tradition
folks.  If you're close by, I'll take a look!

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021 (jealously wishing it were mine)