[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MB SLK vs. Z3

Hey folks!

This morning I had to opportunity to have a close look
at the Mercedes Benz SLK and could compare it with a
couple of other (European) roadsters like the Z3. I couldn't
drive the SLK but from what I've seen (and felt) I have to
admit that the SLK is a better looking and more practical
roadster. The seats are great (the Z3 seats are too flat
and short for me), the dashboard is beautiful (with white
gauges and high tech trim) and the trunk space (with roof
closed) is big and practical. I have to say I was very
impressed by the fit and finish of the SLK and it looks
and feels better than the Z3. But if you like to have a
real roadster the Z3 is better. The SLK is more like a nice
coupe I think with the option to flip the top of and enjoy
driving a roadster. The price difference between the Z3
1.9 and the SLK 200 is a mere DM 3400 in Germany and
considering the rich standard equipment of the SLK I guess
that BMW will have a tough competitor with the SLK. I can't
wait to drive the SLK but that might take a while. Unfortunately,
both the SLK and the Z3 are sold out for 1997. Oh well....
I can still buy the 1:18 scale model :)

Enjoy driving those bimmers!!

Paul Venhovens, BMW AG, EW-1
'93 BMW 318i