[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Recirc A/C control

On my 96-M3, there does not seem to be any change whatsoever when I hit
the re-circ button.  On the E36, keep in mind it's the electronic unit.
The
BMW dealer claims this is "normal" for the E36 and that the newer
systems
only re-direct the air flow -- nothing else.  On my Lexus, whenever you
hit
the re-circ button, the air conditioner puts out alot more volume then
when
it's drawing air from outside the car.

Can anyone confirm or deny this claim?

Stuart M.
96-M3

My 328cab does the same but I always though it was due to the rag top,
and
my prelude seems to do the same as your Lex. I can still keep the manure
odor out of my Cab though so I guess it works!

Ciao,
Rocco

To Rocco and Stuart:

Here's my understanding of the "recirculation mode":

In the Lexuses and Hondas, the fan increases speed when you swith to
recirculation mode so as to increase cabin air flow to minimize interior
condensation since you're not getting any fresh air in this mode.

BMW's, on the other hand, solves this potential condensation problem by
automatically turning on the air conditioner each time the recirculation
mode is on.  The air conditioner acts as a dehumidifier, thus negating
the need for increased fan speed.

I believe this explains the difference.

Regards,

Steve