[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<CA> Front lic. plate?

Mike Kobb asks:

> I was under the impression that CA law said that you had to have a front
plate, but only so long as your car is factory equipped to display one.

> However, AAA tells me I have to get a bracket mounted and display the front
plate.

> Which is correct?  Can anybody point me to the vehicle code section that
covers this?

CA VC5200 states as follows:

"When two license plates are issued by the department for a vehicle, they
shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front
and the other in the rear.  When one license plate is issued for use upon a
vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof."

And, before you ask, CA VC 4850 (a) states as follows:

"The department, upon registering a vehicle, shall issue to the owner two
partially or fully reflectorized license plates or devices for a motor
vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and one partially or fully reflectorized
license plate or device for all other vehicles required to be registered
under this code..."

There are, of course, about a dozen other code sections dealing with the
mounting of license plates, but these two answer the posted question.

By the way, a paperback copy of the voluminous Vehicle Code can be had, at
least here in CA, for the paltry sum of $3 (including tax!) at the DMV.  I
know, I know...we're subsidizing it each time we kick in to the state
coffers, but it's still one of the best investments going, at least if you
think there's that slim chance that you may just possibly ever need to refer
to it!!!   >8^)

Mike goes on to ask:

>Assuming that it's required, shouldn't the dealer have attached one, or be
required to attach one at no cost, since the car was sold in CA?

Have you asked?  I'm sure the dealer will accomodate you.  (If not, *ask*
harder!)

Gerry O'Connor
Manhattan Beach, CA
(hoping to have answered this one quick enough to head off another repetitive
thread whereby we all whine "...yeah, but I haven't had a front plate on any
of my umpteen cars over the past bazillion years, and I never got a
ticket...")