[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

smog

Re:

and apparently my brother has only
a few alternatives...

...take truck to junk yard
...trade truck to dealer
...keep truck 5 years, testing the smog every year
***

He has one more option, don't get it inspected.  That's what the scofflaw
polluters do in NY.  They just don't show up for the yearly test, because
they know they can't pass (its just a standind tailpipe test currently).
There is almost zero enforcement of this by police on the street, so these
people have no danger of being fined or, after repeated offenses, losing
their car.  That's one of the problems with these laws, they only apply
them to honest people who subject themselves to the inspection, while the
smog belchers just don't show up for the test.  This has been my experience
in NY.  By accident, I once went 6 months without an inspection.  No problems.