[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GM Transmissions

Henri Baccouche writes:

>> This particular design was dropped on
the American public in 1982 and it took  GM  10  years to build in the
reliability(1992). <<

See, even you agree it's reliable now!  ;-)

>>Is GM somehow better in Europe?
Is this the new "now we will be reliable" GM ?<<

Who knows?  Sure, GM's an easy target, given all the stupid things they've done.
Once in a great while, however, they manage to come up with something that
actually  works (e.g., A/C systems, electrical switchgear - both of which are
used on a number of non-GM European cars).

Nothing in life is a sure thing, Henri.  You want a BMW?  Great!   You want to
analyze the origins of each of its components and postulate about their failure
rates?  Fine, but I doubt it will add much to the ownership experience.

BMW's are not perfect.   Parts break, things go wrong, sh*t happens.
Personally,  I don't lose any sleep over it.  My risk management consists of
being anal retentive when it comes to mechanical and cosmetic maintenance.  If
the car doesn't meet my needs at some point, I'll sell it and buy something that
does.

In the meantime, I'll savor the grin I get blasting down a twisty country road.
That's what _my_ BMW is about, making it worth far more than the sum of its
parts.

Good luck in your search!  :-[)

Bob Wicker
'95 540i Sport