[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ABS

I find it rather sad to read the somewhat arrogant observations of people
like "Jeff" regarding some of the undeniable benefits of modern computer
technology. Admittedly not all computer advances have been beneficial but
some undoubtedly are.
A good ABS system ( and BM do use good ones) can monitor the rotational speed
of each wheel independantly many times a second and, if one is APPROACHING
lockup, it can back off the hydraulic pressure to that wheel alone and thus
retain traction on all 4 wheels. No driver can, ever has, or probably ever
will be able to do this. The ABS will also disengage when the road speed
drops below about 8km/h - 5mph - to enable the car to maintain braking to a
standstill. In my case alone, ABS on my 525i saved at least one life, that of
a young boy who turned in front of my car without signals while riding his
bicycle. I was doing about 50km/h - 30mph and had no time for evasive
manoevers or cadence braking - I just hit brakes HARD and the ABS stopped me
with about 6 inches to spare. I know the ABS did it as I had the
unmistakeable fast 'hammer' noise of ABS pulsing the brakes to maintain
traction - without ABS there would have been a funeral or at least a major
stay in hospital for this lad.
Would Jeff prefer to do without the Motronic computer on a BMW and revert to
a carb and points ignition, no computer for the engine? How about mechanical
instruments and no OBC - by the way, my 525i had a built in icy-road warning
in the OBC temperature sensor, it came on several times last winter in South
Africa.
Finally it needs to be remembered that there are many facets of our lives
today that are only with us through computers and micro-chips, digital
watches, cell phones, video recorders, satellite communications, CD players,
bmw-digest mail lists, sewing machines - the list is almost endless.
Some people may not like some of these things but they do add to the quality
of life of many so don't knock them! DaveE.