[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Davids new 318is

David Moore wrote:
   >Well boys and girls, a happy ending to a somewhat turbulent story.  I
>flew out on friday night to Dearborn, MI.  The gentleman that was selling
>the car (1992 318is) put me up in a hotel room with 4 telephones, jacuzi,
>kitchen, then brought me out to breakfast the next morning.  The car is
>brilliant red with black interior.  56,000miles and I paid $14,000 (seem
>reasonable? I think so).  It does have some minor 'detailing' issues that
>I'll attack ASAP (the windows have BLACK tinting, tonight it comes off).

   CONGRATULATIONS..you got a great car, but Im biased.  BTW, are you SURE
   you dont like the tint?  If it hasnt faded to purple, like cheap tint does,
   it probably looks good.  Check out most car commercials/ads...notice the
   window tint?  Will help keep that black interior cooler too.

>A couple questions for 318is E36 owners:
>

>1)  I got 2 sets of wheels; 4 16" chrome 5 star w/new tires and 4 15"
>    alloy originals no tires.  I'm
>thinking of having them de-chromed and painted (company ad in roundel).
>These are alluminum, any issue I should be worried about before I do
>this?  I'm thinking I'll sell the 15" wheels to subsidize the de-chroming.

   hmmm...Ghetto boys LOVE gaudy chrome...that and gold crown air fresheners.
   What brand are the chrome wheels?  You might be better off cleaning up all
   8 rims and selling them all to get a good set of 16 inchers with new tires.
   Quality is better than quanity.

>2)  I'd like to buy driving lights (OEM).  Is this car pre-wired?  There is
>    no switch but there is a knock-out on the dash.  Any issues, best buys?

    Probably is pre-wired.   Look under the hood behind the headlights.
Somewhere
    there you should see two connectors, one each side.  The passenger side one
    might be pressed up against the fender.  Look hard.  If you see them,
you are
    in luck because installation is pretty much a snap.  I paid $175 for my
factory
    set 3 years ago from Bavarian.  Get 'em.  But dont drive around at dusk
with
    just the fogs and parking lights on. Especially dont do this when your
car is
    really clean, with the tinted windows up and the sunroof in the tilt
position
    while playing Moments in Love by The Art of Noise or Summer Madness by Kool
    and the Gang with a hot broad with a 22 inch waist and D cups sitting in the
    passenger seat and......oh..ahem...sorry guys.  Like I said, dont do
that. ;-)

>3)  If I can't buy a Bently manual, what's the next best (Haynes?)

    Dont know...just dont get Chiltons.  If you dont believe me, just check
out the
    section on "Microfilter Replacement".  I think it went something like this.
     1)Remove old filter
     2)Insert new filter.
     3)Job done.

>4)  I'd like to have the rotors turned, Is there a FAQ somewhere that
>    discusses R/R of this?

      Dont know...got 65,000 miles on my original pads and rotors.  Still
look like
      they have 15k left on em....I must be driving like a homo or something.
      And I mean homo in the good way.

>And I didn't buy this from CyberPop and friend!

   Is it true that Cyberpops friend wanted you to fly HIM to your house
   and cook him a breakfast in order to buy his car at a price he would
   determine according to the Magic 8 ball?

>Any one have a nice rear wing for sale?

   Think about this one long and hard...sometimes wings alone look, well
"stuck on".
   When they are in conjunction with the other body parts, like the m3, they
tend to
   look well rounded.  Besides, the coupes body is smooth and sexy anyway.
IMHO.