[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E28 Problems

Hello all.

I have a few problems with my 1984 E28 528i (Australian model) and was
wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

1) The car runs roughly at idle when cold. To be more specfic, it is hard to
start (takes 10+ seconds to start without applying any throttle), and when
idling in drive (not in netural) I can feel vibrations from the drivers
seat, but it seems to sound OK to listen to. The car has been recently
serviced, and had  the fuel pressure regulator and a couple of vaccum hoses
replaced. (the head gasket was aslo checked and found to be OK). It was
still running poorly, and the dealer then adjusted the mixture and suggested
the airflow meter box be replaced ($700+). So, is this a reasonble
diagnosis? Are there any other possibilies that should be looked into? I was
a little concerned as their reasoning about the air flow meter was that it
was a sealed unit and hence unfixable,
but it had been opened some time in the car's life (by a previous owner),
and not
because they had done any specific testing on the meter.

2) About 60% of the time, when the cruise control is engaged, the little
orange check
control light in the dash starts flashing, and the "brake lights" warning
light comes on.
Both the cruise control and brake lights appear to be working correctly
though...

Thanks in advance,

Jesudas Mathew
jamathew@domain.elided