[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GM Trannies in New BMWs

This looks like a classic case of Auto-maker "inbreeding" (for lack
of a better term) to me.  I have a friend who works for GM Powertrain.
The GM automatic transmissions are actually pretty well respected in the
industry.  They provide them to a number of very well respected auto
manufacturers world wide.  I do not remember exactly WHICH manufacturers
were using GM trannies, but I remember that they were pretty well
respected names in the industry (i.e. NOT Hyundai  :-)  )

     The GM transmissions are widely felt to be some of the smoothest
shifting in the business.  (would Cadilac drivers have it any other
way??)  Apparently, BMW thinks fairly highly of them, too.

     Just another example of the "inbreeding":
GM used to use a Getrag Manual Transmission in the Cadilac Cimmaron.  And
yes, Reverse was in the upper left corner just like a BMW.

     Still, it does hurt the ego a little to think that BMW Horsepower
gets delivered through GM gearing.  Personnally, I'll "stick" with a
manual transmission.

Have fun!
Robert
'91 <E30> 318is