[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> fire extinguisher installation

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post some parts information from my recent installation of a
BMW factory fire extinguisher in my E36 convertible. I believe this
information would apply to any E36 with manually adjustable seats.

BMW "Gloria" 1kg fire extinguisher ..part # 72-60-1-921-385
(about $ 60 from The BMW Store)

factory mounting bracket (purchased from Maximilian Imports, part # 492-29-2)
(About $ 38 from Maximilian)

The installation was pretty straightforward, with supplied factory
instructions. Contrary to factory installation directions, it is not
necessary to remove the seat to install the mounting bracket. However, if the
seat is not removed, it helps to have small hands and fingers to reach under
the seat and bolt-up the mounting bracket.
I mounted the unit on the passenger seat and it is very unobtrusive. It tucks
very neatly under the front of the seat, and does not restrict seat
adjustment in any way norinterfere with leg room. Very nice fit!

If you have electric seats or sports seat, a different factory mounting
bracket is used for these seats. Also, the fire extinguisher uses ABC powder.
Halon is not available, since it is a CFC.

FYI.

Chet szerlag