[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Whine From CD Player from Stuart

From: AddysDaddy@domain.elided
Subject: Whine From CD Player
..Has anyone else experienced this problem?  On my recommendation, my
dealer
went back and drove two other 96-M3’s and sure enough, they both had the
same
problem.  Seems like we’re on a roll.  If you have a M3, I would give
the CD
player a good listen.  While you’re driving (at any speed), listen to
the
quiet passage between songs.  You’ll probably hear a high pitched sound
that
changes as you accelerate.  The whine is there all the time, is just
easier
to hear during the quiet sections.  However, there is no whine generated
from
the radio.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stuart M.
96-M3
********
Stuart,
My situation is  somewhat the same, yet different. I have a 95 M3.
The first thing I did was gut the factory amp, but kept the head unit to

control the factory CD changer. I was getting a bunch of alternator
whine
and later discovered  that it only came  from the CD player, not radio.
I  first accepted this as my punishment for messing with things. I later
noticed that the ground to the factory amp was cut and the new amp
was grounded to the chasis in the trunk. I suspected there either was
 either a ground loop or a bad CD ground. I did two things at the same
time which helped tremendously, so I don't know which was the exact
cure.
First, I extended a ground wire from the original factory amp ground
wire to
the same location as the ground for the aftermarket amp. You
obviuosly do not have this situiation. Next, I spliced into the brown
ground
wire of the CD player with a 3M crimp splicer and connect a ground wire
to the bolt holding the CD bracket to the chasis under rear deck.
Wala! No more noise. You can still hear it very slightly on extremely
quiet passages with the volume cranked. No prob with pop and jaz.
My next alternative was to run the ground of the Cd player to the ground
of the new amp as in step 1 to rid any ground loop.
Good Luck and keep us updated. E mail me is you need any more specifics
Scott H.- 96 M3