[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Aftermarket Cruise Control

I have had numerous experiences with these.  I put a Sears unit on my
old '69 Cougar that was finicky and didn't bump up/down, but worked.  It
gave _lots_ of adjustments, and surprised me by smoking the tires on a
downshift for a hill once.  I later put the same type on a TR7 with the
same type of results (no tire smoking there!), and yet another one on a
MGB (the one at the bottom).  The unit on the MG gave up the ghost and
Sears didn't still have them so I checked other sources.
  Pep Boys -- trashy unit relies on engine speed only, don't recommend
  Kmart et al. -- more of the same
  Fairfax Auto Parts -- different sort of unit!
The unit I got at Fairfax Auto was _much_ improved over the Sears units.
The Sears units had a LARGE control box to hide under the dash and a
vacuum module for under the hood to work the throttle.  The FAP unit has
all the functions built into the throttle module, doesn't need much in
the way of adjustments, picks up from the driveshaft (magnet straps on)