[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> Rear Wheel Bearings

I'm wondering how long the rear wheel bearings on the E28 last and
what sound they make when they're worn out.  I've got a kinda
"whoo-whoo" noise coming from the rear of the car (105,000 miles,
'86 535i) that is slowly getting worse.  Supposedly the wheel bearings
go before the differential.   The driveshaft has been replaced with
a rebuilt unit so theoretically the center bearing is new.  The noise
is most noticeable (compared to other noises) at about 45 mph or so.
I tried rotating tires, no difference.

Any comments or experiences appreciated.

Thanks --rod.