[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

323i questions...

Greetings

This is my first post to this list, though I have been lurking for
some time.

I have a 1981 323i Baur (back part of top is a ragtop, front part is a
removable hardtop). BTW, what's the proper term for this? Cabriolet?
Targa? Anyone know?

I've had it since 1988, and it's been a pretty good car. It's the only
one I've ever seen. A fun cruising car, and pretty unusual.

I have a few questions for y'all Bimmer wizards:

1) Well, about a year ago, my dear wife was driving it. Coolant leaked
out, and she kept driving it - she let it overheat BADLY. Trashed the
engine. I had an engine from a 50k mile wrecked 325e installed in it.
(This is actually a 2.7 L engine, right?) But it still has the
original 323i fuel injection on it. It runs like a scalded dog, but
it's really hard to start. Basically, when the air temp is below, say,
about 70 deg F, I have to let it go through its little "squirt of
fuel" routine (sorry, I don't know the proper term ;^) before it'll
start. I've taken it back to the mechanic several times, but he hasn't
really been able to solve the problem. It's not a _major_ problem, but
it is a pain in the butt. So, does anyone out there have any
suggestions of what to do to make it start easier. BTW, it started
fine with the original engine...

2) Does anyone have or know where to get an English language owner's
manual for an '81 323i? (was this car ever even available in any
English-speaking countries?)

3) The speedometer has stopped working. Is this likely to be the cable
or the speedo itself? Has anyone out there had this problem?
Suggestions? (Now to determine my speed, I just multiply the tach
reading by 2. This is close to correct - "30" on the tach is about
61 or 62 mph. ;^)

4) The fuel gauge goes from 0 to 55. I guess this is liters, right?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

- -Bo Parker
fbparker@domain.elided

'81 323i Baur
'71 2002