[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW Digest finances

i'm preparing data on the finances of the digest in its new home to
provide to a potential supporter that has requested the data; i thought
it'd be good to let the membership know what the cost of running the
digest on a commercial ISP really comes to:

10% Share of Telnet/PPP account:               $2.60/month *
2600 list members @ $5/100 members:          $130.00/month
40MBytes Disk space for web pages, archives   $20.00/month
                                             --------------
Total before discount                        $152.60/month

Total after 50% Discount from Wizvax for
  running Wizvax Logo on web page:            $76.30/month

* 10% of cost of unlimited Telnet/PPP account on Wizvax.net; account is
used for numerous projects, and 10% appears to be a fair level of cost
sharing.

these numbers will, of course, change over time, as competition causes
adjustments in ISP costs, and as list membership and archive size
increase. there is an additional 10Mbytes of ancient archives from the
time "Before Majordomo" which are in an unorganized state, which i
haven't figured into the archive space on wizvax because i'm not sure
what the point of putting them there would be.

another issue is that it would be very useful to get a second phone line
put in so my wife wouldn't complain about me tying up the telephone, but
i've not costed that out yet and have not included it in this
accounting.

keep in mind that we are getting a meaningful discount from Wizvax here;
if you happen to live in the Albany NY area and are shopping for a new
ISP, give Wizvax a call...

cheers,
  richard
- --