[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Whine From CD Player

Well,  taken the car back to the dealer today and they are unable to find the
whine generated from the alternator.  They tried inserting a variety of
capacitors from the power source but nothing seemed to help.  Actually, as
they increased the rating on the capacitor, the noise increased as well.

Hold the phone, the dealer just called and they took the car over to a high
end audio shop that specializes in car stereos and they couldn’t fix the
problem.  They feel that the DIN cable which is bundled in the wiring harness
from the head unit to the CD player is picking up noise from the wire that
leads from the engine to the battery (I have a 96-M3).  The stereo shop is
suggesting running a new DIN cable down the left side of the car and re-mount
the CD on the left.  This way, you isolate the DIN cable and avoid the
problem altogether.  Does this make sense to anyone else?

The stereo shop called the dealership back and advised them of the problem.
 Because they would be messing with the electrical system, they are having to
get permission from BMW Technical Support in order not to void my warranty.
 The dealer has given the stereo shop the information and is supporting their
recommendations to BMW Technical.  So far so good.  I haven’t spoken to the
dealer directly, but it would seem that they are handling the problem
professionally.  I reserve final judgment until the problem is fixed.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  On my recommendation, my dealer
went back and drove two other 96-M3’s and sure enough, they both had the same
problem.  Seems like we’re on a roll.  If you have a M3, I would give the CD
player a good listen.  While you’re driving (at any speed), listen to the
quiet passage between songs.  You’ll probably hear a high pitched sound that
changes as you accelerate.  The whine is there all the time, is just easier
to hear during the quiet sections.  However, there is no whine generated from
the radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart M.
96-M3