[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E30 broken shock mount

I am a little unclear as to what actually broke away from what on your rear
shock mount.  If the body is cracked around the housing, then the problem
could be serious.  I had a similar problem on an 84 E30 318i which was
lowered about 2 inches and had increased camber to about 3 degrees.
However, the actual right rear shock mount itself was in essence, squashed
into the housing around the body.  Therefore, I simply replaced the entire
shock mount itself and the problem was rectified.  My problem probably came
about from the increased stress on the shock mount from the stiffer
shock/spring combo.  However,it does sound like your problem is due to
increased negative camber, and if you can repair the crack by spot welding,
you may want to consider reducing negative camber by 0.5 degrees with camber
correction mounts for the E30 from BMP Design.  Good luck.