[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> reply SI reset and A/C

>Every morning and evening when I start my 96' 328i (going/leaving work),
>the fan automatically goes to the middle setting.  I have always set it
>to the lowest.  The unit seems to lose its memory after a long time.
>
>I brought this up to the dealer but their answer was "they all do that".
>Can anyone confirm that?  BTW: It is the digital climate control unit.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Fred

Mine used to do this. However, when complaining about something else to do with the A/C, my dealers informed me that he had
"reprogrammed" the setting for the fan. Apparently there are two ways it can be set up--one where it sets its own speed, the other where
you always have to set the speed. Now the fan speed starts of where I left it after I switched off the car. Don't ask me how the
"reprogramming" was done. It may be one of those hidden things in the climate control box where you press the right combination of
buttons or it may have been done with the mechanic's computer equipment.

On the same topic, I have a question. My fan speeds up randomly when the A/C is on in my '96 328i. I get a noticeable "whoosh" for a few
seconds and then it settles down. This often happens when I step on the gas at slow speeds, but is not entirely speed related. It will
also happen when slowing down at stop lights and sometimes while idling. I've seen other posts about this, but I'm interested in knowing
whether this is a design "feature" or can be defeated. It drives me crazy (although perhaps I'm crazy if I let it bug me). I can't fathom
why a carmaker would go through the trouble of trying to make a car (reasonably) quiet, only to have this annoying burst of noise quite
frequently. I'd be interested in hearing from other '96 328i owners on the topic--especially if there are any out there who haven't
noticed this problem.