[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Re: Do I have a real one

Brent Smith is concerned that while all BMWs are equal, some may be
more equal than others (with apologies to all lovers of literature):

>Last week I bought a '92 318iC with 33K. This is my first BMW and I
>love the car. I can see why people buy them and are willing to pay more
>for them. But after reading several post here, I am frustrated that many
>BMW owners feel I don't have a "real" BMW. What defines a real BMW?

Is a 318iC a real BMW? It handles like a BMW, stops like a BMW, it will
last like a real BMW, and it will help save your life in the unfortunate
event of a serious accident, just like a real BMW. The reason: It IS a
REAL BMW. It makes you feel good just to drive it doesn't it? Then it
must be a real BMW!

Do not be fooled by people who say "if yours isn't as [fast/powerful/
well polished/red/black/lowered/expensive/etc/etc] as mine, then yours
isn't real". BMWs are about quality, safety and the way they feel to
drive (choose your own order of importance). Yes: an M3 gets around the
race track faster than my 105hp 318i (but not much <g>). Yes: a 750iL
says "I have money" more loudly than my old E30. Yes: (insert some other
comparison). I don't care. I know I have a BMW. I like it. I am sure
that the owners of other BMWs like theirs as well. You have one too.
Welcome to that happy band who have experienced "sheer driving pleasure".

Everyone has opinions, but that doesn't make everyone right. People may
disagree with me. That's fine. If they disagree strongly enough they may
try to persuade me that I am in error, and may argue their case. If they
are persuasive, I may alter my opinion. Until convinced otherwise I will
continue to believe my opinion to be valid: Nils illegitimi carborundum.

Your analogy about choosing the right car for the task is good. I cannot
imagine moving from a 3-series into a 5-series. It is just too big a car
for my purposes. I rarely need the back seat for passengers. I don't need
to go fast in a straight line (speed limits and all that), but to get
from A to B quickly a nimble car is great. Guess what a 318i is!

Andrew West, '83 318i, BMW Club Queensland, Australia