[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC>RE: Disputing Credit Card Charges

- ------------------------------
Jonathan (selig@domain.elided) said:
>Many states (I live in Massachusetts) have consumer protection laws =
that allow=20
>you to "protest" or put under dispute a charge to your credit card =
bill.=20

>It is for exactly this reason that I usually use a credit card for big
>ticket items and mail-order purchases....if there's ever a problem with =
the

Excellent point -- but one major caveat that many people do not know: =
DEBIT CARDS DO NOT have this important legal protection. While using a =
Debit card seems just like using a Credit card, a Debit card is legally =
the same as writing a check. Debit cards take money straight from your =
bank account rather than extending you credit, and do not fall under the =
same consumer protection laws.=20

Derek (92 525i E34, BMW CCA, Atlanta GA)