[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'80 528i power windows.

Greetings once again.

I've got an E12 528i, (yes, the one that everyone advised me not to buy.
It was in better shape than it appeared, and it was much cheaper than it
appeared, too), anyway, I'm working on the power windows. Few worked when
I purchased the car. The problem appears to be with surface rust on the
actual lifting mechanism, and it was solved with a judicious application
of lubricants and a hammer. I'll explain in detail if anybody has the
same problem.

Oh yeah. I had a question. I've got the mechanism working just fine, the
window goes up and down, but at the very bottom of its travel, it catches,
and is pulled slightly off the lifting rail, where it sits in a sort of
clamp-like deal.

Something is supposed to hold the glass in down here, but nothing I can
find explains exactly what. There are the remains of what looks like old
glue on the glass, and the Haynes manual makes mention of "plastic
disks". I found some thick plastic disk-like things in the bottom of the
door, but they're too thick to fit in the brackets along with the glass.
I think they have something to do with the door brakes, the mechanism for
which was lying on top of said disks.

If anybody has worked on E12 windows before, and can advise me, I would
be appreciative.

Eric Adair

P.S. If the guy who's parting out a 528i would contact me, I would also
be appreciative. I've lost your email address.
- --
Olympus Microsystems' Online Computer Store:
http://www.clearlight.com/~olympus/