[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Steering wheel removal w/airbag

On July 30, Joe Tornero asked how to remove an airbag-clad steering wheel:

I am reposting the removal procedure (how do I get it into the FAQ???) that has
been posted a couple of times to the list:

<snip>

I removed my airbag-clad steering wheel on my 90 E34 to fix a problem I had with
my horn/steering wheel.  Removal is a simple procedure and not dangerous.

NOTE: Make sure you have your radio code before performing the following
procedure because your radio will go into 'anti-theft' mode when battery is
disconnected and you will have to enter the code before the radio will work
again.  You can get your radio code from the dealer parts counter if you don't
know have the code.

Step 1: Unhook negative battery cable.  This removes any possibility of
	the airbag deploying or messing up the SRS system as people have
	recently reported on the list.
Step 2: On the back of the center part of the steering wheel, there are
	four allen wrench screws.  Unscrew these (the screws will not come
	out - they are part of the airbag contraption) and the entire center
	part of the steering wheel (airbag) will come off.  You will have to
	disconnect (just pull the connector off) the airbag trigger wire from
	the center part of the airbag contraption to remove it completely.

Now the steering wheel looks exactly like a non-airbag steering wheel with the
big nut holding the steering wheel on.  Unscrew the nut and the steering wheel
pulls straight off.  Installation is reverse...  Re-connect the negative battery
cable *last* after you are done.  Good luck.  Std disclaimers apply...it worked
for me.

Regards,
Pete
90 5er